Friday, April 24, 2015

Technology and Teaching: My Philosophy

Before taking EDM 310, I thought, really what is the point of this class? I know about technology and the different types of technologies that can be used within the classroom. I was somewhat on the line when it came to technology in the classroom. I was for it, but to a minimum. I was that person who didn't want too much technology in the classroom because I felt it could be a distraction as well as take away simple skills such as writing. I also didn't like how textbooks were being taken out of schools. I kept thinking this class will not change my view on technology and teaching. While I still would like to keep technology to a minimum in my classroom and use it when necessary, I must say I learned more about how technology and teaching are intertwined. Of course, I knew the basic technologies used within classroom such as computers and laptops, but there are so many more things I didn't know about. I found a new form of technology that I know for sure I will use in my classroom. Blogs! Who would've thought that I would become a big blog fan? I think a classroom blog will be great! Blogs aren't just about writing stuff down just because you are assigned to do that. No, blogs can be fun! There are so many activities and projects you can build using blogs. Blogs can help with reading and writing skills as well as socialization skills because you build relationships through blogging.
Also, when it comes to using other technologies, I want to learn just as students learn. Some people say that teachers shouldn't be required to know how to use the technology that their students use, but I disagree. Yes, I want my students to be independent and learn how to use the tools given, but I also want to be able to help students if they get in a bind. Just because I'm a teacher doesn't mean I can't learn new things. Isn't that what we are teaching our students? We must remember that we are all teachers and learners. 

Image of Benjamin Franklin quote

No comments:

Post a Comment