Thursday, February 5, 2015

Project #15 Search Engines

Search Engines


Image of magnifying glass with the word SEARCH


Search engines provide information for a given question or statement specified by a user. The internet has numerous search engines, so I have listed a few that I explored. Some I liked, some I did not like, but it is always good to have variety.

1. Ask.com
This search engine was originally named Ask Jeeves, but the Jeeves was dropped in 2005. It is most useful as a question and answer site. I have no bad words about Ask, but I don't see myself using it due to me using their top competitor's search engine more.

2. Bing.com
This search engine was previously known as MSN Search, and Windows Live Search and Live Search, but all those names were discontinued when Microsoft and Yahoo joined forces. They then replaced the Yahoo search engine with Bing. Bing is most useful for instant answers regarding any things such as sports scores, stock information, mathematics, translations, defining words, and local information. Bing can also be integrated Facebook. I tend to use this search engine a lot mostly for when I'm looking up sports scores or looking for translations of words.

3. Dogpile.com
This search engine is a metasearch engine which means its uses other search engines' resources to produce results. Google and Yahoo are two of the main search engines that Dogpile uses to produce results. It is most useful for general queries. I didn't really like this search engine because I can pretty much go to one of the resources they use.

4. DuckDuckGo.com
This search engine is all about putting privacy first. This was my first time visiting this site. Duck Duck Go is a simple search engine There is no news, sports or blog sections. Just simply type in a statement, and it gives you numerous resources. I actually liked the simplicity of this search engine though I would like to see news integrated somewhere eventually.

5. FreeBookSearch.net
This search is self explanatory. It is used to find free books online. Free Book Search has many different digital libraries to find books for you. I like to read, so of course I would recommend this search engine.

6. IXQuick.com
This search engine like Duck Duck Go is very private, and IX Quick is considered the most private search engine in the world. It is metasearch engine meaning it also uses other search engines' resources. IXQuick is most useful for looking up data. I like this search engine because it gives you data from other resources therefore you don't have to go searching elsewhere for it.

7. Mininova.org
This search engine is the successor to Suprnova that was discontinued because of legal reasons. Mininova is used to search torrent files. I probably would not recommend this site since my security system warned me about it, but it is up to you.

8. WolframAlpha.com
This search engine computes answers. Wolfram Alpha is useful for mathematics, world facts and data. I had never heard of this site until I started on this project, but I will be using it for sure now. I will definitely recommend this to anyone especially students.

Image of wheel of search engines

No comments:

Post a Comment